Saturday, May 29, 2010

Hangin' Out with the Body of St. John Neumann

Here you rest
And how jealous am I.
But here I rest as well.  Thanks for that (this).
This place exists because of you
and for that
All of these people are grateful
I as well.

I sit amongst the faithful
the hopeful
and the doubtful.
The young and the elderly.
Because of you
and all of the tradition that surrounds you
this is a place of peace.
A meditative zone
In a city that reverberates the echoes of violence
The schemes of the greedy
the wretchedness of those lives stricken with sorrow and poverty.

Yet I am lucky.
From my dwelling
I can swish my legs over a series of six or seven blocks
through the heat and rage
into your quiet, air conditioned abode.
The comforts of modernity, softly humming in my ear.

Stumble upon this morning's liturgy.
Sit and listen quietly
To the murmuring of prayers.
They've hit your ears a thousand times before
and no doubt they'll do it again
But this, this
Is special
This Time you're aware of them as never before
This select group
This elaborate shrine of a basement
At 1019 North Fifth Street,
Philadelphia, PA.

No comments:

Post a Comment